Sunday, August 17, 2008

Kimono Quilt

The silk for this quilt came from previously worn kimonos that I picked up while living in Japan a few years ago. I wanted to make a baby quit, but I was in the mood for something a little brighter than the customary range of dozy pastels. Most of the silk came from a child's kimono. The blue striped blocks are made from bits and pieces of women's kimonos, obis (silk sashes worn around the waist) and haori (waist length outer coats worn over the kimono).

I don't know how successful it will be as a baby's quilt, since it is a little on the delicate side (a lot of the silk is vintage) in comparison to a cotton quilt, let's say. On the other hand, the silk has already lasted this long. And, I've never been good at sticking to traditional materials anyway; whatever is on hand is what I use. I've included a detail below to show the subtleties in the blues that aren't apparent in the first image.




No comments: